Wednesday 25 May 2011

Why is it easier to be afraid of snakes than to love them as pets?


It could well be due to an innate drive of ours to loathe them. Most primates raised in captivity and never put in contact with a snake will look very scared the first time they will see one. Interestingly, chimpanzees and bonobos (our two equally closest cousins) have different responses when first confronted with a snake. Chimpanzees are scared but bonobos apparently are not.
Anyway, since most primates are innately scared of snakes, I wonder how would react a man, who never heard of a snake before, in front of one… Like most other primates (scared) or like bonobos (not scared)?
I also wonder if the same kind of innate reaction exists toward spiders because I really do not like them (and writing that down I am now checking my room just in case I spot one...)

No comments:

Post a Comment